Bellingham International Airport is the area’s regional airport serving Whatcom County, San Juan Islands, North Cascades, Whidbey Island, and the entire Skagit Valley in northwestern Washington. The airport is located 6.5 min north of downtown, just west of I-5, and is accessed from Exit #258 (Airport Dr). Major airlines serving Bellingham are:
- Alaska Airlines/Horizon: (Honolulu, Las Vegas, Maui, Portland, Seattle-Tacoma). Commuter flights, at discounted rates, just to Seattle costs just as much as it would be to southern California. These same flights are included for free or at a deeper discount as part of a through ticket to/from another destination and only allows the traveler to stay in Seattle from 1.5hr to 6hrs, long enough to transfer planes.
- Allegiant:(Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Maui, Oakland, San Diego, Palm Springs, Phoenix/Mesa, Honolulu) They don’t offer flights to/from Seattle and Vancouver. This is the alternative airport they fly to for this area.
- Northwest Sky Ferry: (nearby San Juan Islands)
- San Juan Airlines: (nearby San Juan Islands)
- Amtrak: The train station (Fairhaven Transportation Center) is located at 401 Harris Avenue
- Greyhound buses: Fairhaven Transportation Center at the south end of town.
- Quick Shuttle buses: provides services from Vancouver and Seattle to the Bellingham Airport. From the Bellingham, airport call the WTA in advance to book Bus #50 to take you into town or take a taxi from the airport.
- Airporter Shuttle/Bellair Charters: provides scheduled coach transportation from NW Washington to and from Sea/Tac Airport with connections to the Anacortes Ferry, Bellingham Airport, Mt. Vernon, Marysville, and other points. Charter service available.
- Whatcom Transportation Authority (WTA): buses provide service to the Bellingham bus station, which in turn provides service to most of the city as well as a number of towns in Whatcom County. Some buses travel as far north as Blaine and as far south as Mount Vernon.
- Alaska State Ferry: offers weekly sailings between Fairhaven and Alaska for passengers and vehicles .